Project title: River Rat bistro conversion
Client: David Harding & Frances Carrol
Project value: £125,000
Main contractor: Clients
Project description: The River Rat Wine Bar/Bistro is based in Hamble. The premises was originally an old run-down tea room that was dated and in need of a total refurbishment and upgrade of facilities in order to operate as a commercial business.
The clients’ requirements for the refurbishment included:
- Provision of a new commercial kitchen area,
- DDA compliancy,
- Provision for male and female and DDA compliant toilets,
- Provision for new bar area,
- Provision for storage – food and drink,
- Provision for tables and seating to accommodate approximately 60 people (internally and externally),
- Possible office space,
Special considerations for this project were:
- Access and DDA requirements.
- Fire precautions,
- Structural integrity of the building,
- Ventilation and mechanical extraction,
- Environmental health requirements, and
- Conservation area constraints.
Works undertaken by ghd:
ghd assessed the brief and the available space and created a new internal layout scheme for the client which saw a new commercial kitchen facility installed to the ground floor along with a bar, DDA WC, dining area and small wine cellar display. A further dining area and a ladies and gents WC facility were arranged on the first floor. External outhouses were turned into useful storage space.