Project title: Shamrock Quay – Conversion works to fish market
Project description: Conversion of six small ground floor units at Shamrock Quay in Southampton from storage facilities to wholesale fish distribution centre, fish market shop and fish wholesales offices.
The client’s primary requirements:
- Change of use consents from Southampton City Council,
- Refurbishment of existing, almost derelict, ground floor units into premises to support fish selling business,
- Dedicated facilities for the carrying out of distinct operations of fish deliveries to site, fish preparation, on-site shop facility and offices to support wholesale fish sales and marketing.
- Additional floor space for welfare facilities for dedicated staff operations (i.e. fish prep. Staff, office staff, shop staff),
- High chiller and thermal properties to key areas of construction for the safe storing and preparation of fresh fish,
- Key materials to ease cleaning and maintain high H&S standards of hygiene, etc.
J&S Fresh Fish is a small company that have been trading, via the phone and internet, in the buying and selling of fresh fish to a variety of customers, including top London restaurants and chefs. Their operation ran from premises based in Chandlers Ford. Sylvia, the driving force behind the business, has sought to expand the business for a number of years and finally the right opportunity and right premises were found at Shamrock Quay. It has been a long journey of negotiations, planning and finally construction works.
Works undertaken by ghd:
ghd partnership Ltd initially successfully completed the change of use application for the premises. Obtaining this statutory consent allowed negotiations to start on the lease for the property. ghd conducted a condition survey to support the lease agreement which helped with the negotiations on lease costs and works to be undertaken by the landlord prior to tenant occupation. While these lease negotiations were underway, design works progressed on the conversion and refurbishment of the units. Many options were considered which were changed/updated as requirements changed.
Research was undertaken by ghd partnership into cold storage and refrigeration plant, drainage to support fish preparation operations, shop layouts and lighting for specialist displays. We visited many premises with the client to help understand the level of anticipated operations, hygiene requirements and food storage statutory obligations. Meetings were held with key bodies/authorities such as Southern Water, SCC, etc. to ensure mandatory legislation was met.
ghd partnership Ltd assisted the client in their negotiations with MDL Marinas, the Shamrock Quay management company, in respect to the tidying up and dealing with asbestos related materials on site, such as the external cladding, and also the re-wiring of the premises, to ensure that the premises were fit for purpose and the client’s usage.
ghd’s role in this project has been a very supportive one; guiding and directing the client through the various hoops to achieve her goal.
J&S Fresh Fish opened for business at Shamrock Quay in August 2015.